Revolution of Transparency: Consequences of 'Judas' in the Pocket?
London, UK - 16th November 2012, 15:35 GMT
Dear ATCA Open & Philanthropia Friends
[Please note that the views presented by individual contributors are not necessarily representative of the views of ATCA, which is neutral. ATCA conducts collective Socratic dialogue on global opportunities and threats.]
Powerful smart mobiles are now with everyone and everywhere with high resolution cameras, myriad applications and ultra fast messaging. Some top security experts call them 'Judas' in the pocket because these smart devices can carry out almost permanent tracking, surveillance and reconnaissance against their owners' wishes. What would General Petraeus rather NOT say or write in retrospect?
Smart Mobile Security
Threat to Survival in this Brave New World?
A. What are the emerging opportunities and threats associated with this brave new world of anywhere anytime Cloud-based mobile computing and communications?
B. How can organisations harness the smart mobile transparency revolution without being inadvertently undermined and destroyed by it?
C. Are any organisation's stake-holders -- including customers, workers, investors and strategic allies -- capable of adding colossal value or asymmetrically wrecking the organisations reputation, share-price, tangible and intangible value via their smart mobile devices almost instantaneously?
Whose Responsibility? Chairman, CEO and Board of Directors
A. Do the chairman, chief executive and board of directors recognise and understand the consequences of the massive paradigm shift underway as a result of smart mobile phones and their interaction with private and public data Clouds?
B. Are the organisation's governance policies ready for this transparency revolution?
C. Is the model of a vertical silo of a security department headed by a Chief Security Officer in a group rendered quasi-redundant or irrelevant given the fast metamorphosis and distributed nature of the smart mobile device opportunities and threats?
Vital Questions to Ask at the Highest Level... and Quickly before it is too Late!
1. As smart mobiles proliferate what's the risk of private and organisational data escape in the Cloud?
2. Given the access to that private and organisational data, can key individuals be blackmailed, kidnapped or held to ransom?
3. Is the entire intellectual property, archive of all communications, financial information and rolodex of the organisation sitting not only with the competitors but also with organised crime syndicates in China, Russia or Brazil?
4. Why is 'Bring Your Own Device' or BYOD one of the top initiatives that the mi2g Intelligence Unit (mIU) and the ATCA Research & Analysis Wing (A-RAW) see being investigated across major organisations?
5. How to implement a BYOD -- Bring Your Own Device -- security policy?
6. Why is educating staff and other stakeholders crucial if one is going to implement an effective BYOD usage policy?
7. How does training and having an effective usage policy for staff using BYOD help minimise security risks?
8. What is the role of Mobile Device Management (MDM) in regulating transparency, management and security of mobile devices?
9. Is data leak a concern when the data is encrypted and can't be easily decrypted?
10. What about the new trend in mobile data risk management of containerisation which is just taking off?
What are your thoughts, observations and views? We are hosting an Expert roundtable on this issue at ATCA 24/7 on Yammer.
Expert roundtables are the newly launched ATCA 24/7 Q&A private exclusive club service. They seek to become the killer application in strategic intelligence by delivering an unprecedented competitive advantage to our distinguished members. They can only be accessed online at https://www.yammer.com/atca
Q1: How to become a privileged member of ATCA 24/7 to participate in the expert roundtables?
A1: i. If you are a distinguished member of ATCA 5000, ATCA Open, The Philanthropia or HQR affiliated groups you may be allowed to become a privileged member of this new and exclusive private club.
ii. If you are pre-invited, visit the private intelligence network -- PIN -- by going to https://www.yammer.com/atca [Note: In https:// 's' is for security and encryption]
iii. If you don't have membership of the PIN yet, email the mi2g Intelligence Unit at intelligence.unit at mi2g dot com for an exclusive invitation.
Q2: How to participate in the expert roundtables and get domain-specific strategic intelligence questions answered?
A2: Access the ATCA 24/7 Private Intelligence Network -- PIN -- online and ask or answer a strategic intelligence question, no matter how complex. Receive expert answers within 24 hours or get pointers from:
i. ATCA 5000 experts who are online;
ii. ATCA Research and Analysis Wing; and
iii. mi2g Intelligence Unit.
Q3: Why is the ATCA 24/7 Q&A Exclusive Club special?
A3: ATCA 24/7 has now created an exclusive private intelligence watering hole and expert roundtable at the highest level where interesting and sophisticated questions are being asked from around the world, and intelligent answers are being provided, almost always by experts who have deep domain-specific knowledge. Come and check out the exclusive club, take it for a strategic test drive, which sign-of-intelligent life are you waiting for?
To learn more about "The Expert Roundtable: ATCA 24/7 Q&A Club" email: intelligence.unit at mi2g.com and if you are already a member visit https://www.yammer.com/atca
We welcome your thoughts, observations and views. To reflect further on this subject and others, please respond within Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn's ATCA Open and related discussion platform of HQR. Should you wish to connect directly with real time Twitter feeds, please click as appropriate:
. ATCA Open
. mi2g Intelligence Unit
. Open HQR
. DK Matai